Passionate about education, I have extensive experience in Higher Education of advising on learning technology services, building staff capabilities and managing digital education projects and services.
2018 – Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
2009 – Certified Member of the Association of Learning Technologists (CMALT)
2009 – Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (ITIL)
2007 – Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
2016 – The University of Edinburgh, PG Certificate in Digital Education, Distinction
2007 – Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh: PG Certificate in Professional Education
2005 – Napier University, Edinburgh, MSc Multimedia and Interactive Systems
1998 – Gray’s School of Art, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen : BA (Hons) Fine Art
Academic Development Partner
The University of Stirling. Information Services [Jan 2022 – Present]
Queen Margaret University. Information Services [June 2020 – Dec 2021]
University of Stirling. Information Services [June 2019 – June 2020]
Developing online learning materials for new distance learning Master programme within the School of Management. First cohort underway January 2020.
- Manage the learning design process with academics.
- Plan and deliver training.
- Developing materials for Insendi (https://www.insendi.com/), a bespoke platform, spun out from Imperial College London aimed at business schools
- Supporting learning technology tools and services including: Canvas, Big BlueButton and CampusPress.
Digital Skills Trainer (Learning Technology) 0.2
University of Edinburgh [July 18 – June 19]
Providing professional development for learning technologists as part of a CMALT cohort (Certified Member of the Association for Learning Technology)
● Facilitating group meeting, writing retreats and reflective writing workshops
● Organising workshops with invited experts on key topics of legislation and policy.
● Annual awards event.
● Mentoring and support of CMALT applicants
Operations Manager 0.8
The Association for Learning Technology [July 2018 – March 19]
Working remotely as part of a virtual team I supported the day to day running of ALT’s operations.
● Administration of and development of the Certified Member of ALT (CMALT) professional accreditation scheme.
● Coordination of Learning Technologist of the Year Awards, including public vote and ceremony.
● Coordination of programmes of webinars for Learning Technologist of the Year Awards winners, and CMALT candidates and assessors.
Learning Technology Advisor, University of Edinburgh [June 12 – July 2018]
- Edinburgh Learning Design Roadmap (ELDeR): Expert facilitation and planning of Course, Programme and Bespoke Learning Design Workshops to design or revise courses or programmes. For online, on-campus and blended courses. Coordinating input from several departments, including Institute for Academic Development, Library and local Learning Technologists to support Academic Programme Teams. High profile workshops include UG Medicine and UG Vet medicine.
- MOOC development: Course material development in FutureLearn and EdX.
- Project “Providing professional development for learning technologists via CMALT cohort” (Certified Member of the Association for Learning Technology). Full responsibility for success of the project: project management, financial planning, workshop planning and delivery. To date, 13 professionals have been accredited via the scheme making the University of Edinburgh the UK institution with the largest number of current CMALT holders.
- Providing advice and guidance to Academic and Professional Services staff:
on appropriate use of technology to sound pedagogic principles, in wide range of contexts including campus based, blended and online distance learning.
- Service Management lead (user focused): QuestionMark Perception assessment system; Social Media Tools for Learning and Teaching consultancy service; Collaborate Ultra – virtual classroom service; Maintaining strategic oversight for key university systems, growing and promoting services.
- Line management: Instructional Video Production Officer, Open Content Curation Intern.
Secondment to IAD (Learning Technology Advisor)
Institute for Academic Development (IAD), University of Edinburgh [Aug 10 – May 12 ]
- Researching and writing a scoping study to inform IAD strategy, exploring types of support for teaching staff to make best use of technology in their teaching.
- Setting up a new community of staff development activities to support the growing area of Online Distance Learning (ODL) – including planning and budget.
eLearning Advisor, University of Edinburgh [Sept 07 – Aug 10]
Provided learning and teaching advice, consultation and support for academic and support staff across the University. Supported services include WebCT (later Blackboard Learn), Turnitin, Personal Response Systems (PRS), the ePortfolio (PebblePad) and Quandary (scenario based activities).
Learning Development Officer (Flexible Learning)
Queen Margaret University, Centre for Academic Practice [Jan 05 – Aug 07]
Training academic staff within QMU and writing documentation for educational technologies including WebCT, TurnitIn, PebblePad and SmartBoards.
Learning Developer, The Interactive University [
Nov 02 – Dec 04]
Creating and maintaining online and paper based materials for a range of courses from school level Higher and A’ level materials, to BSc and MSc materials. Creation of animations and illustrations to academic author briefs.